Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Heartburn, Heartburn, Go Away.

Now I don't know about any of you, but during both of my pregnancies I have been PLAGUED with heartburn, heartburn that last well into the night.  Heartburn that keeps me up at night and makes me as close to a monster to be around as something possibly can.  Normally with heartburn I would pop some tums and be on my way, however, since I am pregnant my general feeling is that unless it's a life or death situation I say "no thank you" to anything that isn't 100% natural, which leaves me in a bit of a predicament on the heartburn front.  So in an effort to relive my pain and help all you preggies out there is a list of natural or at least home remedies that I have found online or that I have tried myself. 

*Please not that I am not a medical professional and that I have not tried all of these remedies, some I have heard from others and some I have found through Internet research. You should speak with your doctor or midwife before adding anything new to your diet, especially during pregnancy.



1) Milk: For me there is nothing like a tall glass of milk to calm the burning sensation in my chest, the only downfall is it doesn't last too long, maybe an hour or two. But, that can be a wonderful two hours in my book, and the benefit is even if you finish a gallon a week of it it goes towards your bones, and more importantly the developing bones of your wee one. 



2) Almonds (or nuts in general):  This was a nice little trick the instructor of my first birth class gave me.  I don't know why but eating a handful of organic nuts will squash my heartburn for a good couple hours, so I definitely try to carry a baggie of them around everywhere I go.  And the plus side to the almonds and nuts is that you get a lot of that great DHA to help boost your babies brain power!


3) Chewing gum:  Having some chewing gum right after eating will help stimulate your salivary glands. This increase in the rate of salivary flow helps to wash away any acid that has built up in your gut, and therefore stops heartburn before it even starts!


4) Baking Soda: Baking soda is a base an helps to neutralize the acidity in your gut.  You can mix 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink it all.  However, it is heavy in salt so you want to try to limit your use of this remedy as it can cause nausea and swelling.


5) Aloe: Aloe has soothing properties, and aloe vera juice reduces inflammation so "it quiets down any inflammation that is in the esophagus as well as the stomach," Dr. Sierpina says. He recommends drinking 1/2 cup before meals, but warns that the juice can be a laxative. Look for brands that say the laxative component has been removed, such as Aloe Vera Power.


6) Slippery elm: There is limited research in regards to slippery elm, but it has been used as a home remedy for centuries.  Slippery elm thickens the layer of mucous lining in the stomach, says Dr. Blum, creating a stronger barrier against acid. "[Slippery elm] is a demulcent that offers a coating or protective layer to the tissue [of the stomach]," Dr. Sierpina says. "The way slippery elm has traditionally been prescribed is a couple tablespoons in water after meals and at bedtime."

No comments:

Post a Comment