Thursday, April 10, 2014

Ligament and Sciatic Nerve Pain



I don't know about any of you other mommies out there, but this pregnancy I am having MAJOR ligament and sciatic nerve pain.  At my OB's appointment today she told me that this was completely normal, especially for second, third, so on pregnancies because your ligaments and tendons are already stretched out from the previous pregnancy.  This results in the uterus not being as supported as well as the first pregnancy and this results in the uterus sitting lower and putting pressure on your ligaments and nerves.  For me, this mainly means when I get up or if I'm walking around or standing too much, my pelvic region will get sharp, stabbing pains that aren't alleviated until I sit down.  However, today it has been non stop pain as long as I'm not sitting.



As far as the sciatic nerve pain.  According to the American Pregnancy Association: "The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body, providing sensory and motor function to the lower extremities. This nerve provides sensation to the back of the thigh, lower part of the leg and the sole of the foot. Sciatic nerve pain is a periodic severe pain that occurs throughout your legs".

The sciatic nerve runs underneath the uterus, and it is thought that the pain some of us "lucky" moms to be is due to the growing baby putting pressure on the nerve. This makes sense on my end, because if the ligaments aren't supporting the uterus as well as before, then it would make sense that as the baby grows my uterus would begin to press on the nerve. Which is why I am also having shooting pains down my legs and lower back, along with my pelvic pains...YAY!  My doctor suggested that I buy a support belt to wear under my clothes to help do the extra work for my ligaments.



So with that, I want to put it out there to the mommy world and see if any of you know of any natural or home remedies for either sciatic nerve pain or ligament pain during pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment